Retirement Services Office (RSO)
Soldiers and their Families need to plan their military retirement long before the application for retirement is submitted. Not to have a planned retirement in many cases results in a less than happy retirement or cases of making mistakes that could have been avoided.
Changing from military to civilian life-styles is not always an easy task, but planning can be a big help. It is not only the fact that upon military retirement, Families change locations (often to areas where they know few people if any out side of Family members), change careers, and change life styles. The simple matter of moving from government quarters where the government took care of repair and maintenance, to one’s own home where repair and maintenance is an individual responsibility is not always simple.
At least 12-24 months before planned retirement, a Soldier and Family members should attend a pre-retirement orientation provided by an Installation Retirement Services Officer. There is no prohibition to attending one long before a retirement application is submitted and another shortly before an actual retirement date.
The information provided here is designed to help Soldiers and Families prepare for retirement. We hope this Web site helps you fit retirement planning into your busy schedule. When you can, please arrange to take time to visit your Retirement Services Office (RSO) for more information.
Pre-Retirement Information - top
- Pentagon Preretirement Planning Seminar (PPT - 2,974 Kb.) - This shortened preretirement briefing was recently updated and is given at the Pentagon. It serves as an introduction to, but not a substitute for the full-length preretirement briefings given by your Retirement Services Officer.
- DA Pre-retirement Briefing Slides (Updated May 2013) - PPT 5,893 Kb or PDF version - 1,308 Kb
- Pre-Retirement Counseling Guide (October 2012) - PDF 429 Kb (posted 11/12)
- Get Ready For Retirement - PDF 3,424 Kb (posted 3/11)
- Which Pay Plan are You Under? - PDF 2,227 Kb (posted 3/11)
- Family Participation - DOC 31 Kb
- Reserve Component Retirement System
- Army Career and Alumni Program (ACAP)
- Nondisability Retired Pay - DOC 26 Kb
- Retiring on the Same Day as a Basic Pay Change - DOC 24 Kb
- US Flag at Retirement - DOC 25 Kb
This Briefing contains in-depth notes. Double Click the link and open the presentation. Select File, Print. In print options under Print what, choose Notes Pages.
Or, to view Notes Right Click and select Save Target As. Once you have a copy saved to your hard drive Double Click on it to launch Microsoft PowerPoint. Once open select View, Notes Page.
- RESERVE PRE-RETIREMENT TRAINING EVENTS -
|RSO LOCATION||POC(S)||EVENT DATES / LOCATION|
230 RT Jones Road
Phone: 650-526-9513 / 9512
|MAJ Nani York
MSG Rosa Fale
|12 July 2013: Fort Shafter, HI
5 August 2013: A. Samoa
1525 Marion Avenue
South Carolina, 29207
Phone: 803-751-9865 / 6457
|CPT Maya Troupe
MSG Trevor Sellers
29 June 2013: Fort Bragg, NC
27 July 2013: Nashville, TN
24 August 2013: New Orleans, LA
21 September 2013: Fort Knox, KY
Bldg 35, South 8th Avenue
Phone: 608-388-0596 / 9321
|CPT Micah Perkins
MSG Adam Rose
13 July 2013: Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA
7 September 2013: Fort McCoy, WI
5231 South Scott Plaza
New Jersey, 08640
Phone: 609-562-1696 / 7055
|MAJ Arthur Nowell
MSG Edgardo Benabe
|29 June 2013: Fort Hamilton, NY
27 July 2013: Harrisburg, PA (FT Indiantown Gap)
24 August 2013: Buffalo, NY (Niagara Falls)
21 September 2013: FT Meade, MD
Career Status Bonus/REDUX Soldier Information - top
- CSB/REDUX Counselor Roster (February 2011) - XLS 29 Kb
- OSD Site on Active Duty Retirement
- Combat Zone Tax Provisions - DOC 35 Kb
- Retirement Calculator (CSB/REDUX and High-3)
- Calculating CSB Recoupment Amount - Xls 16 Kb
- Frequently Asked Questions - DOC 55 Kb
- Which Pay Plan are You Under? - PDF 335 Kb
Career Status Bonus/REDUX Counselor Information - top
- Army CSB/REDUX Implementing Message - DOC 54 Kb
- CSB/REDUX Milper Message 01-143 - DOC 77 Kb
- Additional Army CSB/REDUX Guidance - DOC 127 Kb
- OSD Site on Active Duty Retirement
- CSB Election Form (DD Form 2839)
- Leaving Active Duty - Offers the Soldier information sites that are critically important to going from Soldier to Retired Soldier.
- Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) - The Survivor Benefit Plan is the sole means for Retired Soldiers to continue a portion of their military retired pay to their survivors. The decision must be made at retirement from military service and is a critical one, given its lifetime impact on the Family's financial well-being. This information is provided to ensure that you are able to make an informed decision about the SBP that best suits your needs.
- Uniformed Services Former Spouses Protection Act (USFSPA) - DOC 33 Kb
The USFSPA outlines the treatment of retired pay and the Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) as property, it also provides information on a former spouses eligibility for an identification card.
- Retirement Services Frequently Asked Questions - DOC 27 Kb
For individual questions regarding Retirement, please contact your Retirement Services Officer.